Recent news stories tend to disagree:
Furthermore a recent report found
- 56 per cent of Habinteg tenants living in wheelchair standard properties have not been exempted from the bedroom tax.
- 15 per cent of tenants who receive disability living allowance but live in general needs properties have been exempted from the tax.
- The ‘localised criteria’ for bedroom tax exemption has created a ‘postcode lottery’ for disabled people.
- The shortage of wheelchair standard and accessible properties has made downsizing simply not an option for most affected tenants.
- Inconsistency in councils’ decisions about who is eligible for discretionary housing payments makes it difficult for housing providers to manage their response and support tenants.